So after my second plying experience, I finished the rest of the SakinaNeedles BFL in Briar Rose. I followed Necia‘s advice to let the single rest a bit — well, sort of. I still plied it as soon as I finished it, but since it took a couple of days to spin up the whole thing, only the last 1/3 or so was kinky and difficult to ply. 🙂 I think it turned out rather nice.

Here’s the obligatory “money shot.”

With the tighter twist in the singles, the yarn is firmer and thinner than the first skein I did. Not sure what I’ll do with it yet, but I do love it!

 

Since my first wheel spun yarn turned out to be rather underspun, I’m putting a lot of extra twist in this next one, to the point of getting some corkscrews on the bobbin.

It’s SakinaNeedles BFL in Briar Rose. Pretty, no? I wanted to see how it plies up, so I wound just this much into a center-pull ball again, to see what happens with the plying.

As you can see on the right side, some of it is still underspun! I didn’t put in corkscrews at the beginning. On the other hand, there were a couple of spots where the corkscrews got into the plied yarn, which I didn’t want. But overall I think it’s nicer than the first one I did. I do wonder if using a ballwinder for plying takes out some of the twist.

It’s washed and hanging now, we’ll see how it turns out after the finishing.

 

After becoming addicted to spinning on a spindle, I decided to get a wheel. Kristina
was selling her Lendrum DT on Ravelry, and although I’d never spun on any kind of wheel, I had read such good things about the Lendrum wheels that I couldn’t pass hers up. So here it is!!

Handsome, no? Here’s a side view.

As you can see, I got busy right away. It was really easy to set up with instructions right out of the box. I started off doing the “park and draft” on the wheel but as I got more comfortable, it went much faster! I finished up the Spunky Eclectic BFL roving in Mahogany that I was spinning on my spindle, to get a comparison of the feel of the same fiber on the wheel. It was more thick and thin, overspun and underspun than I had achieved on the spindle, but for a first try on the wheel I think it’s pretty decent!

Since I had only one bobbin-full, I used the center-pull ball method of plying. It’s nice to have a ball winder!

Here it is, plied up on the bobbin. As I was spinning the singles, I thought I was waaay overspinning, but as I plied it up, many sections were underspun to the point of singles breaking. So next time I’ll try to add even more twist!

I need to work on filling the bobbin more evenly. Maybe a Woolee Winder some day! Kristina was nice enough to send along a niddy noddy with the wheel.

And here it is skeined up! I’m so happy!!

This was my first try at spinning handpainted roving on my spindle, after practicing enough to get relatively fine and consistent singles. I wound it into a center-pull ball, and here’s how it came out as a 2-ply.

Yay!