November 2009


I admit, I got a little tired of knitting blue baby stuff.  As cute as it is, blue is just not my color.  So I went back to my very favorite Brown Berries colorway in Malabrigo Worsted that I had leftover from my Boatneck Bluebell sweater, and made a couple of things for myself.  That’s right – selfish knitting!  I had been meaning to make a Foliage hat for the longest time, and I don’t know why I waited!  It was a fun knit, and took only a few hours.

Foliage Hat

  • Pattern:  Foliage, by Emilee Mooney, whom I’ve met in person!
  • Yarn:  Malabrigo worsted merino in Brown Berries, 0.6 skein
  • Needles:  Knit Picks Options (metal), size 7 for main body, size 5 for ribbing
  • Ravelry link here

No modifications!  Can you believe it?  It came out a little big, so I wear it slouchy.

Foliage Hat

After the hat was done, I had 35 grams of yarn left, so I searched Ravelry and found the perfect pattern to use it up.

Mitts from leftovers

I knit from both ends of the ball to squeeze out every last bit of yarn, and this is how much I had left!

Mitts from leftovers

I went down a couple of needle sizes because I have small hands, and wouldn’t mind a denser knit.  I cast on using size 6 needles, switched to size 5, did 10 rows of ribbing, then the 2 rounds plain, then switched to size 6 for the gusset. Inadvertently, I added 2 plain rounds after finishing the gusset increases because I thought round 3 was round 1. Duh. But I like the way it covers my thumb better.  So I thought I had less yarn to finish the rest of it and knit only 3 rounds plain instead of 7, then started the ribbing on the smaller size needles right away.  Turns out I had plenty enough, so I frogged back and knit the 7 plain rounds after the gusset, and still had enough yarn for 11 rounds of ribbing at the top. I wish I had made the cuffs longer. Maybe someday I’ll frog and reknit for a better fit – I’d make the cuff longer, maybe make the gusset 11 stitches instead of 13, and then a shorter top.  But for now I’ll enjoy wearing them for a while.

I’ve donated my hair twice before, to Locks of Love, and was planning to do it again.  I hadn’t had a haircut since February 2008!  Then I heard from my knitting friend Suzanne that a lot of the hair donated to Locks of Love doesn’t actually make it to the kids – a lot of it is sold or discarded.  It seems that since they are the most popular hair donation charity, they get overwhelmed with donations and can’t handle all of them, plus they get a lot of unusable hair.  Suzanne suggested Wigs for Kids instead, so that’s what I did.  On the website there is a list of salons that give haircuts for free or at a discount when you donate.  Unfortunately, it is not completely up to date – one place I called had been out of business for 4 years already.  But I did find a good place not too far from me.  This is what I had to donate.

Hair donation to Wigs for Kids

This is what it looked like after being chopped – about 12 inches!

Goodbye, hair!

And here’s what I looked like.

Haircut

And here’s my almost-31-week belly!

Hair cut plus belly

It turns out the Tilted Duster makes a great maternity sweater!

We had another fun Halloween this year!  Tim asked to be Percy, one of Thomas the Tank’s friends, so Chris obliged with this:

IMG_0275

It’s tradition in Chris’s family for Daddy to make the costumes.  And you can’t buy Percy in the stores anyway, only Thomas.  Of course, Tim was thrilled!

IMG_0288

He got lots of candy dressed like this.

IMG_0299

He also dictated the look of the Jack o’ Lantern this year – he wanted a scary one!

IMG_0284

Boo!

I started a second baby project, a blanket made from Lily Chin’s Reversible Cabled Rib Shawl pattern. It’s a little bit insane because it will take forever, but it’ll be cute! Dream in Color Smooshy has been my “go-to” baby yarn recently, and I thought it would look great in a cable pattern, so this is what I got from Webs. It’s the Some Summer Sky colorway.

IMG_0266

It came in 4 different shades, as you can see in the picture, so I’m just going to knit them in order of lightest to darkest, and make the gradient a design element. No way am I alternating skeins!

From my swatch and some rough calculations I did 5 repeats across (CO 248 stitches) using size 9 needles – and it is turning out to be about 32″ across which I think should be okay for a baby blanket. Here’s what I have so far:

Baby blanket progress

And a close up:

Baby blanket progress

The pattern and yarn together are making a wonderfully cushy fabric!  I hope baby likes it.